Friday, July 10, 2015

The Delivery

Week 38 brought us to the reality that with the baby having the umbilical cord wrapped around himself twice we would need to go the safest route, c-section. Everyday during the 38th week I would go and check the babies heart rate as well as the umbilical cord to make sure it wasn't worse and of course to see if it was better. Unfortunately, it never got better but luckily it never got worse. Finally, on Friday, the doctor said it would be either Saturday or Sunday for the c-section. He wanted to wait as close to 39 weeks so the baby had plenty of time to be healthy and Saturday he made the choice Sunday we would have the c-section.  At 38 weeks and 7 days it was time. Baby is coming! It was unreal in a way. After almost 9 months, or 10 months in Japanese world, my little baby boy was coming. 

Waiting in my room. 

Sunday we went to the hospital at 9am so they could do some tests and prep me for the surgery. By 12 in the afternoon it was time. 

Let me say, you get pretty good at being normal around people seeing you naked. 

The doctor first gave me a shot in arm muscle to help the pain from the epidural. The doctor first tried the short, Japanese standard needle, which was a big no go, it didn't reach. The reason why they use the shorter needle is it helps against after surgery problems like headaches, fever, and more. The long needle barely reached, but let me tell ya how hard it is to curl up in a ball with a huge pregnant belly. 

Luckily it reached! Thank god. Let the numbness come. He tested how the epidural was processing by using a cool cloth to check the feeling in my legs and stomach. Then using a pin to check. 
After the c-section

It was time. At first all was fine. Then it felt so weird when they pulled the baby from me. It is hard to explain exactly what it felt like, like your stomach being pulled and tugged out. It was a relief to hear his cry but as they were fixing me up down there it was painful when they were stapling me up and then massaging my stomach. They brought my baby over to me as they were stitching me up, and he was such a beautiful sight to be seen. There were no complications, but the umbilical cord was wrapped around him 3 times; once around his neck, around his body, and around his feet. This boy was busy in my belly. 

But soon it was over. It only took around 20 some minutes and I was taken to my room. I was lucky to have my own room for the 11 days I was in the hospital. 

Baby Blake was born at 12:55pm. After they bathed him, he was brought to my room and could spend some quality time with me and my family. 

The day of the c-section I was told to just relax and not move, well except for my legs to get the feeling back into them, they had compression stockings on my legs to help prevent blood clots, and by the next day they asked me to try to sit up and try to walk which took some time as it was hard for me to breathe while standing but soon with some practice I was up and moving. I also had a lot of back pain from laying straight in bed for so long, and the hard bed probably didn't help that either.  

I wasn't allowed to eat from the night before after 10pm and nothing to drink the day of the sugury. I wasn't allowed any food for the first 2 days, and no drinks for the first day. I was allowed food from the 3rd day and it was only watery rice and some soft food. From the 5th day I was allowed normal food.

My little baby
Here are the pictures of the food I had in the hospital. It was mostly Japanese food, but some days they had non-Japanese food.

The first 5 days at the hospital, they let the mother relax and heal without the stress of a newborn baby. You get a few hours a day with the baby and they look after the baby at night. From the 5th day you have the baby from 8am to 8pm and you get the night to sleep. Very different from Canada. But I think it was very helpful for being a new mother. They were very helpful with helping you how to do things like change a diaper, make milk, bathe your baby, and lots of advice for breastfeeding and any other questions you may have like cleaning our your babies belly button. They also weren't in your room all the time, they would call on the PA system and tell me to take my temperature and they would come take my blood pressure as well. At night during the first few days they would come in with an orange light so not to wake me up to change the IV bags.

My days usually started at 6am when they would come in to take my temperature and blood pressure, but I would go to sleep again till 8am when breakfast arrived. Lunch was at 12 and dinner around 6.  

The doctor checked my scar everyday and on the 9th day he took out the staples. The last day it was one final checkup on how everything was healing and a checkup with baby and you were free to go. 

It was nice to get home and relax in my own bed but I do miss the long night sleeps.

Leaving the hospital

First car ride
All in all it was a different experience with some good things and different things compared to Canadian standards. I really enjoyed having the time to heal after a hard surgery and could rest at night for 10 days. Somethings were very confusing, like their list of items to bring to the hospital that I had no clue what they were, but luckily enough they had a service where you could just buy it at the hospital, like this gaze wrap they used to wrap around my stomach over the cut, to keep the bandage from moving around. You also had to bring your own slippers, pajamas, chopsticks, towels and they had no showers, but I was allowed to wash my hair in a sink towards the end. I can tell you I was excited when I got a hot shower when I got home!

First time in his bed

They payment system in Japan is you pay down payments along the way to the hospital (like a reservation fee saying you will deliver at their hospital), and another fee after 33/34 weeks and the final payment when you leave. Depending where you live and what insurance you have you can either get some money back from your insurance or the hospital will just send the (max amount your insurance covers) bill to the insurance place. It's all quiet complicated really. Lots of paperwork afterwards as well. Also each hospital has different fees and not all hospitals offer epidural for a normal birth. The places that do offer it, ask for you to choose the day and has to be in normal working hours to be used. So if you go into labor at night, sorry you can't get it. Also giving birth on a holiday and weekend will cost you more money too.

You also have 2 weeks to go to your city office to register your baby. I had hubby handle all that Japanese stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Very informative. Welcome sweet Baby Blake. Nana